Staying Tuned To WBS

(Apologies to the Lil' Homey)

On days such as Monday, when I am possibly, occasionally, maybe perhaps running a bit late for work, and am still within Chez Baz when the clock blips nine, and I know I should be exploding out of the door like a bullet from a gun, eager to get out there into the real world where I am sorely needed, I have found, of late, reason to tarry.

It wasn’t always like this. In fact, when Daniel Arap Moi – not the ex-president, the semi-literate WBS news anchor—was doing the breakfast news, I would actually flee the crib in fear, anxious to get off the premises before his dumb ass appeared on the screen.

However, these days ease of departure is impeded, rather than aided, by the TV. Because WBS has hired HNC.

No, I don’t know her real name. Since Arap Moi, I learnt to keep the volume on strict mute when WBS shows news. So I haven't heard her introduce herself. I assume she just says, "These are the headlines. I'm Hot News Chick."

What do you want me to do? Rush into the cold, cruel, mean, soul-draining, mind-numbing, heartbreaking corporate gulag just like that, without a second glance at this glorious visage, itself the very light of heaven? Of course not. What man, if he be truly a man, would begrudge me a few minutes to stand before the screen basking in the heat her gorgeousness radiates, just a few minutes? That could be the only moment of pure beauty I will encounter all day.

Unless I, like, have plans for the evening or something.

Comments

Cheri said…
"Corporate gulag" Thats what its all become.
Cheri said…
True.....My eyes gone bad.
Cheri said…
Real bad...Head throbbing.
HNNC (Hot New News Chick) is probably Jackie Lumbasi, the same chick who reads it at Power FM. Kenyan bird. Pretty visage. A touch of relaxed chubbiness, a sexily-throaty croak hiding withing the temptingly-silken whisper. Yeah, she's cute, alright. And NTV can't yet spell `TelepromptER' (is it like that?). But, still, mine is a protest vote. I can't swallow movies where the Star still pulls the bullet out of his scalp with his hands and a small yelp. 1985? Jesus Christ!
Savage said…
NTV can get away with not using teleprompters. Even in the US some stations use cue cards, which a basically placards held by someone off camera.They are the same ones actors use to remind them of their lines.
Minty said…
See telemprompters failed to redeem Daniel Arap Moi, so fie there.
And in case anyone can't forgive HNC for her relentless wigs, she's hiding these really funky dreadlocks. Did WBS make her do that?
Jay said…
i know what you are saying. Kind of find the morning news more interesting. But unlike you I usually have nowhere pressing to be.
Happy new year to you
Rae said…
try the models on NTV...and watch this space for the review of Worst Idea.
Baz said…
@ Cherie, you poor thing. Are you working late? You should have come over here. This part of gulag has vodka after seven. Don't tell the boss.

@ Young Buck a.k.a 27C, no, it is not Lumbasi. Look closely.

@ Sav and Minty, Meanwhile, we should not be so hard on TV people. Us print guys could probably use a telepromter too. Si ku the crap we write. About freshly chopped heads...

And Jay, I was just about to start a rumour! Good to have you back, man. You are back, right?
Baz said…
Rae? I think we just simulposted! Is that what it's called? What models?

(I promised Minty I would stop talking about you-know-what on every post so I am restraining myself.)
Iwaya said…
JAY IS BACK!!!!!!! I'm running to a certain blog like right NOW!!! and i literally got up from my deathbed to post this comment too.
crys said…
what kind of man? a woman, perhaps?
Anonymous said…
Baz u are the only reason i am goin to try watchin WBS again and if i dont see HNC or rathe if she aint as hot as moi yo dead...
Iwaya said…
"That could be the only moment of pure beauty I will encounter all day."
Someone has been watching American Beauty again!
Baz said…
So, Silent. Am I dead?