Shirt Tales. With Back End Attached.

This is a tale about the narcotic influence of beautiful women and how they can lead one to forget cherished principles and political values, how they can cause a confirmed anti-fashionist, recovering communist and slob sympathiser to spend five minutes in a luxury clothing store without collapsing into a fit.

I do pass by this shop occasionally—on the way to the DVD place—but I usually ignore it. It is better that way. The last time I paid any attention to it I found myself instinctively reaching for my belt, where I used to keep my grenades. I was stopped in time, though, by the colleague I was with, who reminded me that we don’t do that sort of thing anymore because we had decided to work to fight the system from within.

This afternoon, though, I was not up to fighting anything. The Company of Pretty Girls (CPG) had lulled my natural malevolent antiestablishmentarian tendencies to a flaccid ineffectiveness and when we wandered into the clothing store, there was no sharp jolt of the system, no sudden break-out of goose pimples, no furious reddening of eyes. On the contrary, I was quite enjoying myself.

So these charming and delightful women flitted around the store looking for items to further augment their already considerable pulchritude and I leaned against a counter, musing over when these shops are going to learn to install televisions to occupy the guys, because we certainly will not be entertained by the display of scarves and shoes.

Diva and Princess, probably noticing that I was vegetating at the counter, decided to rope me into the fun by turning attention to the men’s shirts. By reflex, my eye searched for the plainest garment on the rack. It came up bereft. No plain shirts; no such sauce in this casserole.

They held up a woollen top of some sort. They are called jerseys, I understand.
That jolt of shock which had been subdued all along? Remember it? I saw the price tag.

I hope I kept my composure and did not spaz visibly out, because the melee that was going on inside was tremendous. Manic screams of “What the bloody freaking extremely atrocious f…!” rent my soul. I thought to myself, “This calls for a match and a can of petroleum fuel. It is my moral obligation to light this offensively-priced ‘jersey’ ablaze and then stomp on the flames while chanting ‘Hell Faya! Hell Faya!’”

People wear these things and then they beep me. You know?

It was a moment of pure and absolute haharing.

But it gets worse. I will tell you the rest on Wednesday.


And now, the conclusion. (Sound of one hand clapping)

First some background. Previously on Shirt Tales, Starring Baz as Scruffy Slick:

Scruffy Slick is pathologically fashion-blind. He has absolutely no taste. He likes to pretend that there is a political agenda behind his inability to dress snazzily, and he cites his status as an ex-communist often to back this up, but do not be fooled. The Red days explain why he doesn’t dress expensively, not why he doesn’t dress well.

The thing is, dude is incapable of making a competent fashion decision. Hell will freeze over first. Fortunately enough, he knows this and does not tempt fate. His wardrobe? All black trousers and blue jeans, nothing else. Shirts? Plain unadorned no-maridadi T-shirts or simple button-downers in only slightly varying shades of blue, grey and white.

Here ends the Third Person portion of our story.

But we haven’t actually begun the narration. I just got tired of sounding pompous. (Yes, Maggie, I do get tired of that sometimes.)

It must also be understood, as we continue with the background, that I am a very busy man. I have shit to do. I have places to go, people to see, things to do—this money ain’t gonna make itself.

Now the story continues.

It was late one Wednesday night and I was staggering back from the Corporate Gulag/ Matrix/ Slow Death/ Job. It was almost ten in the night when I landed on the shores of Kireka. My mind was beginning to make the adjustment in frequency from Work (numb) to Home (ready to consume TV). In the transition it usually makes a quick analysis of the prospects the next day holds: Have I cleared my workload or will tomorrow be excruciating? Do I have any airtime left? Is there toothpaste at home? Etc.

It was during this process that I discovered that the last shirt to be ironed in Chez Baz was at that very moment resting on my weary back.

I had no ironed shirts at home.

Bachelor Blues, they call them.

Now, the more mature gentleman would hurry home urgently. He might even prompt the boda to go faster (Is it inappropriate to whip your bodaman and say “Giddyup”?) because he is eager to redeem at least one shirt from the basket and iron it before cara fires. But not Scruffy Slick.

I think my lethargic footdragging became even slower. My only response to the discovery that I had nothing to wear was, “Oh.”

Did I mention that I was at the Kireka stage? There are men around the area who sell clothes. I had never noticed them before because, as I explained, fuck fashion, but this time, I had reason to regard these stalls with more than sweeping disdain.

This could be the solution.

I ambled over (still sluggish and tired, but less wretched) to the vendor. Our conversation was in Luganda but since some of you do not know the language, (and since I am still hoping to get another link-up from Joshua. Munange as you threw me out!) I shall render the discussion in Ebonics, a colourful semi-English dialect I came across on TV the other day.


Self: Yo, dawg. Sup wit these here shirts?
Vendor: You wanna shirt? Ima hook yo ass up wit a dope shirt.
Self: Yo, don’t gimme nothing wack, dawg, you know wha’msayin?
Vendor: Don’t even worry ‘bout it, dawg. I got your back. Check dis shit out.
Self: Hmm. I’m not too sure about this.
Vendor: Dawg, trust me. This shirt is the bomb. The mad phat jonnie blaze Bombay
shit!
Self: Aight. I’ll take three so I won’t have to iron until the weekend.


And then I summoned the boda, and, not caring whether it was appropriate or not, whipped him and said “Giddy up”.

When I got home, however, and was able to look at the shirts in the light, I began to develop some doubts. Some misgivings began to make themselves apparent. There was disquiet in the soul, there was turbulence in the spirit. Not so much because the shirts just purchased were not the usual, i.e. plain, but because even with my challenged sense of fashion I could sense that something was wrong with them.

I suspected perhaps, they may be… possibly, there was a possibility that they were… that they could be… ugly.

I needed to consult experts in the field. I know I like to rant about phone cameras, but they have their uses. I laid the shirts out on the couch, snapped a few pictures and MMSed them to various fashionable people, seeking opinions on their aesthetic status.



  • Let’s forget this ever happened.
  • You could always use it to dust the tv… what kind of TV do you have? JVC? No, don’t dust a JVC with that.
  • Are you auditioning for the role of George Jefferson?
  • Don’t you ever do that to me again.
  • Fuuuuugly!
  • Oh my God WHAT IS THAT!! AARGHH!!
  • But Ernest you like joking around. Wait, you’re serious?
  • Oh HELL NO. WHat the HELL IS THAT? Oh... yurgh
  • I think that would pass for like a curtain, and those that are meant to be in the kitchen and not in the living room
  • Looks like for conductors...

Comments

Cheri said…
Firsties!!!!!

Now lemme read the post!
Cheri said…
Ha, Nowadays u like to leave yo post hanging.....No intro...no outtro!

Me likey.

PS: Wat grenades are theses we're on about?

Don't go to Sylvie Awori next time. Do Knights' Polo.
Bakugamba. That chic at the first lady's office!
Woowe, nze!

LO-friggin'-L! That bit about fiddling for your grenades ... LO-friggin'-L!

Wednesday's here!
Minty said…
Hold it. We don't do petrol and matches anymore. we wait for an FDC rally, then run into their shops with police and teargas in hot pursuit. has worked before.
Kenyanchick said…
Although CPG does nothing for me and I've never experienced flaccid ineffectiveness - well, it's never been my fault anyway -I have been tempted to raze certain clothing stores to the ground.

Which is why you speak for all of us antiretailestablishmentarians when you say:

“What the bloody freaking extremely atrocious f…!”

It's the "extremely atrocious" that brings it all together.
Minty said…
Say, does degstar's count as an establishment?
Savage said…
why do we gotta wait till wednesday? so you have time to make up the rest of the story?
Cheri said…
Wednesday's here!!!!! No more excuses.

U thought it'd never reach????

Huh? Do u want a piece of me? huh huh?
U want a piece of this?
U wanna take it outside??? Huh.
U wanna lose yo teeth dude?
U wanna have a jaw dislocation? huh?

Our story.....
Carlo said…
you are hilarious! as soon as one of the CPG finds out about this (i'll make it a point to tell both) u'll be in for it. more shopping, this time for not just shoes and scarves but chandelier earrings and diamonds! that's a threat.
Carlo said…
p.s. pray tell which one is diva and which one is princess. i'm dying of curiosity here.
Cheri said…
My God Baz, u out did yourself this time. ROTFLMAO serious LMAO.

I wont even talk abt the firsties of this second part.

But u just made my day.

U canonly tell the boda guy to " giddy up" if his boke goes like "trollop trollop trollop" Otherwise, no!

Then the guys u MMSed are too hard.
"You could always use it to dust the tv… what kind of TV do you have? JVC? No, don’t dust a JVC with that."
Hilarious!

Maaaaaaan, lemme wipe my tears off now.
Cheri said…
This is going down as one of my fave posts!

Lemme print it for my nite time reference.
Cheri said…
One hand clapping???? How?

U're duracell!
Cheri said…
Am I the only one commenting???
No, no! Whip the friggin' boda guy! It's why they sit like that, in the first place!

The rad part is around the end, where I see you half-nude, slapping the bends out of the Kofi Olomide voop (that's the picture I get) and snapping with your camera, thinking you rock, then I ask you plain in the face: `Now you have a reason to re-join the revolution?'

Frig, Cheri! I've joined!
Iwaya said…
Baz, seriously, you need to stop sending SMSes to yourself!
Minty said…
LOL. Sounds like the type that woulda melted on the touch of an iron.
very inspirational.
Anonymous said…
Baz, Baz, Baz, why do you torture yourself? The word is fashion and not Bazhion...

The Boda Boda thing, giddy up, you know that's followed with like like a ka tush!!! on the backside. You shouldn't have put that on the post...Some nigga might just get attracted.
Saadiq said…
haha..maridadi shirts..come to think of it..i have an aunt called maridadi..im serious!!
The 0ne said…
Is this the end...
ish said…
mbu people wear them and then beep you. lol
Anonymous said…
Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense earning with a sum that usually is spent
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]