Some work of noble note may yet be done

It’s Friday.

I am supposed to be explaining the odd events of the past two posts. From Violence and Alcohol? What violence, and what alcohol?
Considering that I don’t drink and am a wuss.

(By the way, don’t test me on the wuss thing. I may just be being modest.)

It is a long and laborious story, about destiny, and courage, and adversity, and flagging courage, and doubts and, finally, our hero saying, “Destiny schmestiny, I want money.”

But I need to make it short, so here is the short version. I have retired my first novel, Violence and Alcohol.

Initially titled Run, but when I found that I could not incorporate the song into the book, I changed it.

Several years ago I developed the idea that I had the capacity to produce a decent work of literary fiction and I set about writing Run. During the half a decade or so that followed everything else took second place to this. Run was a good reason not to return those calls.

The result wasn’t half bad, if I say so myself. Nice things were said about it.

Until we tried to publish it. Then the general opinion of publishers’ editors was, “Nice writing, but we don’t like the story.”

So I have retired the thing. Now I am looking ahead. I just got the newspaper's permission to compile my Sunday Column, Bad Idea, into a book. I guess that’s what I shall be giving my dear Mummy on Christmas instead of a story of loser debauchers who try to pick up girls in bars with stupid lines and then end up, at the end, articulating the crisis of the modern urban African youth and its parallels with the ongoing development of a third world country like Uganda.

But I can’t just shelve it. At least lemme let you guys take a look at bits.

And now, for this weekend, I shall be obsessing over what to do for the cover of the Bad Idea Book.

Comments

Savage said…
Whoa!!
That those geezers could fail to see the beauty in this, my heart bleeds for you. What kind of story did they want, a folk tale?

I was working on my own lil' project and now I just lost morale.Proper.
Darlkom said…
I cant' stop myself from posing. I have read it, all of it and it is amazing, I can't believe they wouldn't publish it, the fukwits. (new fav. word incl. all it's derivations ie fuckwittage.)
ish said…
"the crisis of the modern urban African youth and its parallels with the ongoing development of a third world country like Uganda."

(sounds like something i'd deff wanna read!)

sometimes, i exhaust a story idea just by talkin about it... "i'm thinkin of writing this book about this guy who... blablabla".

then wen i'm done talking, it's like "yah. not gonna happen. i just killed that idea!"
Minty said…
Aw, baz, my heart breaks. I think those publishers wanted Simbas and sisal skirts. But yours is fine stuff, way too fine for their simple minds.
(Feel better?) But there's more'n one way to skin a cat, so all roads lead to tumbavu.blogspot.com, and from there you never know.

=I knew those Bad Idea Dictionaries were not just following each other for nothing.
Baz said…
Guys, thanks for being so gracious. I haven’t exactly given up, I have just given up on waiting for a Pelican to come calling. Maybe one day in the future. Who knows. I haven’t emailed my agent to tell him to stop shopping the book around, I just stopped waiting for him to email back.

One of the constraints is that no one significant has published within these borders. It helps to be somewhere where you can meet people for coffee. So Sav, make use of Minnesota.
And few people publish lit fic before they are in their thirties, so Inky, you still have a lot of time.

Meanwhile, someone suggested posing on the cover like Clarkson, but I don’t do photos well. I think a cartoon of some sort is better…
Cheri said…
Bad Idea in a big book. cover to cover....cant wait for it! honestly. Blogosphere should get free autographed copies.
See where am goin with this?
Cheri said…
Bad Idea in a big book. cover to cover....cant wait for it! honestly. Blogosphere should get free autographed copies.
See where am goin with this?
Kenyanchick said…
First of all, I must read the rest of this story.

Then, we've got to get it published (and yes, I too demand a signed copy.)

In the meantime, when is Bad Idea: The Book coming out? I must have a copy.
Anonymous said…
Won't get it published? You are letting The Man hold you down? Man! That's a Bad Idea...

A cartoon of some sort? If its Graphics that are like so so cool...well, you did claim you can't afford me...flattering, very flattering...
blindness, thats what it is. sometimes society is so f-ing blind to what it has!
Right on Cherie...autographed copies,if you take out the free part. for the sake of the sales!

big book of bad ideas! yay!
Anonymous said…
Havent read the excerpts yet, but as an idea for your bad idea book cover. Picture this.

Baz in a Flava Flav outfit, big clock, thickass glasses (my bad, you already got that covered)lugabile and.... Shit I lost my train of thought.

delear must have given some messed up grass.

Anyway of to read that great Ugandan urban classic.
Baz said…
You ask, I give. Here is the ms. I hope you like it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/edj7n6

Flava Flav?

Flava Flav??
Rae said…
How about doing it in seasons just like Jack Bauer? Coming soon...Bad Idea, Season Two!