From: Violence & Alcohol

Desire wasn’t phenomenally attractive. Idle men, when coaxed by other idle men to grade her on a scale of one to ten, routinely found her to vacillate between a five and a six point five, depending on the time of night, and the depth of their drink. She wasn’t remarkable or outstanding. In braids, sunglasses and metal-sheen nail-polish, she couldn’t help but sink into the grey. Just another Kampala babe. Just another piece of the noisy trinketry adorning a gaudy and pretentious city.

She wanted to be a model. She called herself Desire. Now that name should communicate something. It should imply that she was, well, desirable. At the very least more desirable than someone named Jane or Mary. But to us idle men it just implied, “My gosh, this chick certainly feels hot about herself.” There’s a temperature range in which New Kampalans are expected to stay, and we don’t take kindly to those with ambitions of exceeding it.

But Desire was hard-headed is she was anything. She wasn’t the type to let anything other than her own imagination decide what she could do, where she could fit, and what she was. Reality was a thing that happened to other people. If she felt she was a ravishing diva then the grades of the idle men meant nothing. She was going to be a model.

There. A salient personality trait. It should have made her unique, but it didn’t. Fact is, in this dusty city, wannabes come a dime a dozen.

I spotted her at the bar. She was chatting with a friend. They seemed so engrossed in the conversation, you could actually believe that they had something worth saying to each other. Look at those jeans. Unconsciously swaying to the music. There’s magic in those Calvin Kleins.

Now, since I had been drinking heavily and wasn’t in any position to know better, I cut through to where she was, stood next to her and let it be the beer talking. “I’m here,” I said.

“Who’re you?”

I sighed. She wasn’t getting it, was she? “Look, you are going to go on, in your life, to have a series of empty, unfulfilling, desperate relationships with men you don’t really care that much about. You’ll end up marrying one, living in misery with him until, after a while, your ass begins to sag, your belly begins to grow and your face begins to wrinkle. One day you’ll find that you are not the hot hot hottie you are now, and then your identity crisis will start. You’ll have spent your life defining yourself by your looks. Now those looks will be gone and you will feel like you should be gone too. Only, on this day, you’ll notice that you’re still there. Then you’ll begin to question everything you’d been believing all those years. What was it all about? Is this what life was for? You will ask, is there really a man for me? A soulmate, a special someone? What if I met him once and I let him slip away? What if I lost my one true chance at happiness? I’m going to answer that question right now, before you get to the age when you ask it. I am that destiny. I am your one true love. In fact, I shouldn’t be offering to buy you a drink, you should be buying me one.”

“What are you talking about?” she asked in a way that showed she really wasn’t seeking an elaboration.

“I want a Guinness.”

Before the fullstop she and her friend had walked away. I watched them go.

Damn, she had a fine ass.

-C&R99ii
I'll explain on Friday

Comments

Savage said…
I will need an autographed copy of this. Seriously dude.
Anonymous said…
tie he he! after all these years and many fresh prince episodes later, you still havent upped your game! how do i continue associating with you?? lol

pat
Minty said…
I'm with Savage. Personally, the pick up line... essay did it.
Anonymous said…
"There’s a temperature range in which New Kampalans are expected to stay, and we don’t take kindly to those with ambitions of exceeding it."

Me likey
Saadiq said…
ehh..nga beer has serious pick up lines...but nahh...im not about to start taking it...especially thru straws
Jadekitten said…
I'm amazed, astounded, dumbfounded....by you!

:-)
bikozulu said…
LOL!You must be reading The Game by Neil Strauss!He is the only one I know who thinks chics owe him a drink.
Darlkom said…
Really good, I can't wait to read the whole book.
Kenyanchick said…
I owe you a Guinness. Seriously.
You've made me very happy.
Darlkom said…
It's Friday so go ahead and explain yourself.
Anonymous said…
THE PICK-UP LINE TURNED OUT TO BE AN ESSAY.THAT IS WHY SHE WALKED AWAY... WITH HER FIRIEND AND HER FINE...WHAT WAS IT?
Anonymous said…
FIRST TIME HERE...GREAT STUFF, BAZ
Rae said…
beer and babes, bad idea!
ish said…
it's firday already, and i'm curious already...

(also, if anyone ever used that little esay on me, i would throw my head back, laugh, then look him straight in the eye and snog his socks off!)

(as in, just to thank him for entertaining me...)
Kristen said…
That was fabulous hope to see the entire finished work soon.
Anonymous said…
Great stuff Baz.

This normally happens to us; in real life (as in one's face). It is also stuff that happens in our dreams.

That hour of the day when the cerebulum takes charge as the medulla oblanga and cerebral cortex are snoozing away.

Reminds me of a one Desire who tickled the poet in me. My output was a turnoff for her and she.......walked into the arms of another....

Well, notice how Desire waits for midlife crises; when time say sorry.

And then she forgets that when the guiness in a man talks, it is genuine talk.

That is because that cerebulum is in charge. And cerebulum never lies.