The internet as a research tool

Despite what you may think, I occasionally do engage in intellectual pursuits.

Such as arguing.

I was embroiled in a fascinating one recently, stemming from the Pastor’s Hummer. I posited that Uganda is massively poor, and that the Ugandan who is not daily crushed under the colossal weight of our poverty is not a typical Ugandan by far. If this point survived contention, I was prepared to place hand on hip, raise my chin and deliver the coup de grace-- something along the lines of “How do you be there saying that simanyi you are a true Ugandan when your life doesn’t resemble the lives of the overwhelming majority of Ugandans in the least, si ku your fully-loaded iPod and your cappuccino at CafĂ© Pap, not to even mention your fucking Hummer?”.

(I was going to censor that but then I thought that would be ridiculous, given that the word Hummer is dirtier than the word written before it.)

Anyway… this is where the facts failed me.

The way I remembered it, Uganda was the one of the ten poorest countries in the world, with staggering rates quantifying this.

I had to quote numbers though. I had to ask the Internet. This is what it told me:

Uganda has a per capita GDP of $1,800.

The 20th poorest country in the world has a per capita GDP of $900.

In other words, we are not that broke.

I was so pissed off! I mean, like, Shit! When did this happen? You guys just go and develop and mess up my debate positions! Man!

Hate when that happens.

For the record, my future home, The Seychelles, is the third richest nation in Africa: $7,800 baby! When I go there I will be stuntin!

Caveat. Don’t jump on my case, I know GDP per capita doesn’t prove that everyone is Madhvani. I was trying to win a bar argument, not presenting a paper to the UN. Chill me on that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,
where is the source of wealth for this pastor and her hubby, do you know?
Baz, you are smoking awful crap! To make laugh out loud about something this serious? Naawe.

Anyway, how the frig did these people get going like that? Actually, there is much happening, only that, since it doesn't make the roads cleaner, wider and freer-of-holes, we don't notice it.

I mean, boda-boda guys in Versace linens? Katonda wange! And the fact that these slums can come up with all that garbage ... with broken iPods as part of the refuse ... we are not being pushed up the HDI for nothing.
Anonymous said…
As for me hmmm(nze kulwange) i will not say nuthing about the hummers....lest hummer owners start alleging discrimination like the homos...

am homophobic...i live in kireka...i wear glasses...No comment on the hummers!
Anonymous said…
GDP of $1800...wat does that mean in layman's english....
Iwaya said…
@Cheri: and she works in a bank! i couldn't resist, i swear i couldn't.

me i wanted you to say Internets, it's just so there!
Cheri said…
Iwaya, tombalamu magezi?????
ish said…
i dream of the seychelles as well. and i didnt even know they were colored those ends. me, i just like water and sun and delicious looking men
Anonymous said…
fi, we say The Servant Of The Lord Has Been Blessed: http://ernest-bazanye.blogspot.com/search?q=kayanja

27, we know you movementists and your propaganda... but you do make a point, though.

@Anonymous my neighbour, I think the word Faggot should be applied to Hummer owners instead.

@Cheri, there is no word for it in Layman's language. And Iwaya, as Jay-Z, the King of The Hip Hop Aphorism says, Men lie, women lie, numbers don't.

Ish, you will find me there. I will probably be your waiter.
lulu said…
banange, why is it that when the pastors prosper people wag tongues and when they are impoverished it is that they steal money, it sounds like what jesus said, when i came singing and dancing they said i was drunk , when i came mourning they said i had a devil... this is something i see that willl forever be a plague following church leaders.... no one is meant to be poor, if they got a hammer, bless God....i honestly think so..... what about Mp's?


will you come for poetry reading baz, you are invited. i will keep you posted
QueenB said…
But Buzz,
the island i got to say dreams come true i too will pray for yo dream.
For the poverty dnt start complain about not havin new shoes when there those without feet to even wear the old pair.
Anonymous said…
Lulu, I have made your reply my next post. You inspire me.

Queenb, I am not complaining. I was just surprised to find that Ugandans have better shoes than I thought.
Onyeka Nwelue said…
Baz, this is George. Could you call me on the phone right away? 234-8037796384. Sorry that I'm drifting away from your post, but this is very important. We need to really talk about the posting.

Please call me now.
Onyeka Nwelue said…
About the editing...sorry...lol...
Cannon said…
Hummer is not vulgar. Vva mukibaya.