A popular musician came to the newspaper office in which I work for her scheduled press interviews.

Tindatiine herself! She walked right into this office. In person! She perambulated upon the premises aboard her own duopoly of personal feet. Lord love us, I was in her presence.

I would have liked to be my usual cool, calm and unflappable self. You know, the cat who meets all these so-called celebs with a cold smirk and perhaps the words, “So what? I’m talented, too, you know.”

Like the time Bebe Cool was all up in my spacial and I had to assure him.

But then Tindatiine walks in and out walks my dignity. My knees turned to jelly, my jaw dropped. My beard was moistened by drool.

“Oh. My. Good. Fucking. Ness. I cannot believe it’s you. Tindatiine! I Looooove your song. Oh my gorrrrsh! I like totally can’t believe it’s actually you. In person. Wheeeeekkk! Wheeekk!” I said, the last two words being me screaming.

I was shaking and shivering and jumping up and down and flapping my hands like those black boys who were acting as white girls in that movie. I may have been splashing sweat and spit on her because she slapped me.

Hard.

She’s a little woman, but she packs a wallop.

She said, “Get a hold of yourself, man! What is the meaning of this outrageous behaviour?!”

It didn’t work. I was still jumping and shrieking. Now I was on, “Oh My Goodness. Tindatiine TOUCHED ME!”

So she hit me with another one.

“Control yourself. Pull yourself together. Cut this nonsense out. You’re acting like the Wayans Brothers in White Chicks, that movie that sucked!”

“That movie didn’t suck…” I started to say, but she slapped me again.

“It sucked! Shut up. Now sit down and stay still. I’m a star, okay?”

My sense began their journey back. “Whatever you say, madam.”

“Now, who is the guy who is going to interview me? I don’t have all day. I have a show at Club Vision Empire this weekend and I need to rehearse.”

While Intrepid Reporter whisked her off to the cocktails/interview room my senses finished their trip and finally returned. I was able to remember that I don’t even like her song anymore. I was able to remember, then, that I am actually getting kind of sick of it. I mean it is everywhere. You can’t escape it.

What I really want to listen to is Angela Kalule’s other song that is as sweet as a mother’s love mixed with chocolate. It is called Oyo Mwana (this is an approximate spelling) and if she would give the internet an mp3, I would put up a link that you, too, may fall for it.

And when I met Angela Kalule, I didn’t turn into whateverthenameoftheguy/girlinwhitechicks. I was dignified, and greeted her with poise and class, informing her that I enjoyed her work, accepting her gracious response and moving on.
And when I met Iryn, I was all, “What’s up.” And she was “What’s up.” and then we were like, “Aight, Later.” And that was it.

Then this chick Tindatiine slaps me.

Surely.



and now our sponors have a word:


In case you have been wondering where Bikozulu is, we had him in a bunker in the Chinese deserts. We put a gun to his head and said, you have two choices: starting a blog is one…”


This is the result.

Comments

Minty said…
O.M.G. I’m splitting me sides here. It was probably necessary. y'know like sweating out a fever. Now, let's gladly welcome our sober baz back.
ish said…
ani akumanyi was funny the first time i heard it. a bit pathetic the second time. and downright annoying the third. tindatiine followed a similar path.
Cheri said…
baz, baz, baz! u blog like u're on manda! as in Duracell. Brilliant!
the "wheeeeekk" bit had me rolling!

Oh, I so love the "Oyo Ye Mwana" song by K'Angie- notice the subtle corrections!
Darlkom said…
Energizer Cherie, Energizer.
Baz, brilliant!!
Quillonpaper said…
Was catching up on your blog again this evening. On this particular post, I'd just like to re-echo Inky's sentiments. Who dat??
Great blogging Baz.

p.s. u really killed the book idea? can't believe it -u almost had it going!!
Joshua said…
Ernest,

Hello! This is Josh. You spoke to a group of my students with Kalinaki in August with Global Youth Partnership for Africa.

I just started writing the Uganda Roundup for Global Voices Online (GVO). The idea behind GVO is to get the word out about stories from parts of the world that don't traditionally get alot of space in mainstream media. GVO is written by bloggers from around the world; it's a pretty spectacular award winning site. It also happens to be one of the top 150 blogs in the world in terms of number of hits, so if your work gets posted there, alot of people are going to read what you have to say.

GVO has never had a Uganda roundup until now, so its a cool oppurtunity to give more exposure for the growing, but still small, Ugandan blogosphere. I like covering posts that shed light on life in Uganda. I try to find a balance in my GVO posts amongst book reviews, quirky stories about your morning matatu ride, and news analysis and opinion. I'd personally like to see more news related posts, but I think this will develop in time. The rule is: Do ur thang. The only criterium I have are (i) snappy writing and (ii) content that the global public might find interesting.

Also, I think a Happy Hour is in order, and I think you should speak because you are endlessly full of mirth and hilarious self deprecation. I'll be out of the country for a few weeks, but stay tuned for a Ugandan Blogosphere Happy Hour in late November.

Finally, check out this list of Ugandan blogs that I think reach the above criteria. Make a comment if I've missed any.

http://inanafricanminute.blogspot.com/2006/10/global-voices-uganda.html

Shoot me your email if you want me to send you updates: goldstein.joshu@gmail.com

Peace.Josh
Hey guyz, walk slow on Tindatiine...u never have ever seen an enraged Country Boy.
And guys, has it ever come 2 your mind that Baz is the best version of Harry Sagara?
Tindatiine, as long as am right!!
Minty said…
@Eddie, while you work on spelling that right, Tindatiine means something like: I'll not be afraid, shy, ashamed etc, to be seen with you countryboy (no relation to deno).
There, plus royco mchuzi mix for good measure.
Anonymous said…
i heard someone say that he is going to name his daughter tinda tine and i thought to ma self if i wa the mother i would say its not his child
Juju said…
lol @ bsilent!!!
Anonymous said…
I attended an introduction (Uganda Speak) in Masindi in September. These Kwanjula (introduction)is actually a wedding if you ask me.

So, along the way, somewhere when the brides people play hide and seek with the grooms matchmaker, the DJ plays Tindatiine.

goddess of sorts, what does the word mean? I mean Tindatiine? Tindatiine, Tindatiine......

Anyway, the DJ plays Tindatiine and the crowds erupt. I mean the congregation erupt.

In Masindi, rather, the Runyakitara enclave, Tindatiine is the answer to Doctor, by Nvanungi and a coterie of ballads by Ganda artistes.

Back to the (Introduction). The DJ plays Tindatiine.

Says the MC, "EEEEhh, Tinda Tiine". Translation. EEeeehhh I will not fear. Literally.

The MC is referring to the bride. The Crowds. yeeeegoooo. Meaning. Yes. The crowds speaking for the bride say they will fear not. Rather, the bride should be firm.

Very entertaining. Would agree not?

No butterfly in the tummy thing. NO goose pimples.

That reminds me of a one "Ebwenda bikutokote and empeta" by Ragga Dee.

Apart from the obvious joy Tindatiine evokes in our rural folks,there is nothing in it musically speaking. I am in tandem with goddess of sorts and all ye sceptics.

You get monotone and more monotone. Weak repertoire.

The prize we pay for allowing H&H.
Minty said…
@deg, such hair comes with a label that says 'warning: highly flammable' or 'usiweke kwenye joto' (yet to see a Luganda translation)
bikozulu said…
@Baz. All the bad-ass operatives are always taken to China, like Jack Bauer...and now me.
Cheri said…
@Baz...thank u thank u thank u, u're far too kind!

I did it! Now i have the links...no more hustle of re-typing the blog urls!

Yippee!
Anonymous said…
@Baz, I always thought yo nuts, but now am 101% you are, en i looove you for that. keep it up Dude!
Christina said…
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about these people (popular musicians etc.). I never have and probably never will! I met one of 'them' once too. Close quarters. We shook hands and all that. It didn't really go very well as i didn't even know who he was...